Sunday 22 June 2014

The Journey Begins

Just got back from eating some fish & chips and then topping it off with watching a gorgeous sunset on the River Thames. It almost got ruined by a different view, and those who saw my instagram photo know what I'm talking about!! So after my last post, I said that I was on my way to the BritBound info session. They provided some decent info and seems like they should be a valuable resource. They have events that they put together every week so I'm sure if I attend those on a regular basis, I should have no problem meeting other travellers and making friends. After the session, all the other BritBounders and I headed over to a pub to have a drink and I made a few new facebook friends!! After that night, I was able to correct my sleeping pattern (I think). Yesterday, Paige, a few of her friends, and I all went to Greenwich Park for a little BBQ. So in the UK here, you can buy these disposable BBQ's, they're small and cheap but they work!! I don't know why they don't have them in Canada. Well, maybe we don't really need them over there and to be honest, we weren't really allowed to be bringing that into the park anyway!! We could see why after when we realized we had left a rectangle shaped patch of black grass. A lot of fun though, and I got to meet even more people. However, the annoying thing about the past 2 days has been my allergies. They are 10 times worse than they were in Vancouver. That didn't stop me today though as I did some more exploring of Greenwich. First, I took a trip to the Greenwich market which was cool but expensive at the same time. Then, ventured over to see Cutty Sark, the Royal Naval College, and the National Maritime museum. Pictures coming soon. Now begins my process of finding work and accommodation. It looks like the best option, and also a popular one in the UK, is to rent a room in an already existing house/flat share. I'm going to be looking at places that have tenants around my age and hopefully, be like-minded people. Still unsure of what I want to do for work. BritBound said that 80% of employment in the UK is done through recruiting agencies. So, the plan is to send my resume to them, and then they'll forward them to agencies, and then hopefully these agencies will have jobs for me that match my resume. Tomorrow, I'm going to set up a bank account and set up my phone as well. BritBound is having a pub lunch on Tuesday so hopefully, I'll meet more people there. One last thing, I greatly miss the tap water back home!!

1 comment:

  1. I hear Greenwich is very nice, although I forgot to visit whilst I was in London. Do post some pictures! Excited to see another BritBounder blogging.

    If it's any reassurance, whereas finding a job sometimes took me up to three weeks back home, it took me a couple of days here once I really started looking. Same with a room. Best of luck to you! :)

    ReplyDelete