Saturday 28 June 2014

After One Week

"You alright?"

While I knew coming over here that that was what they said in place of "How are you?" I'm still caught off guard every time somebody asks me that question. They say it so fast!

It's amazing how quickly every day goes by here. Although, I will say that it seems like forever ago that I was back in Canada. I've been so busy this week trying to get a job going and trying to find permanent accommodation while all at the same time, keeping up with a social life. I've seen about 8 places so far that are renting out a room and I must say, haven't been all that impressed with either of them. I am currently staying in this student building at the moment. I would love to just stay here, believe me, but it would be a little too expensive. I am feeling a little bit of the pressure though. I'm only here until Tuesday so I basically need to find somewhere for after that. Since I am struggling with finding permanent accommodation, I do have 3 options for flatshares that are available only for July/August, which is probably the best as it will give me more time to look at somewhere for Sept 1st that might be more relative to wherever I'll be working. On that note, I did have an interview on Wednesday with a recruiting agency and that all went well as I got a spot on their roster. The lady that interviewed me actually sent out my CV (resume) to a company that day and I was supposed to have an interview with the company the following day. Unfortunately, they really liked the person they interviewed on the Wednesday and just hired that person instead of going through an interview with me. No matter though, I am hopeful I'll get something this week.

The best part about my experience so far is the overwhelming amount of people I'm meeting. Tuesday, BritBound had a pub lunch so I met a completely new round of people and this bunch was a fun bunch. Aussies, Kiwi's, and of course, Canadians. Can't go wrong with that. Wednesday, I met a couple of guys in the same flat I'm in right now and one of them happened to be from Burnaby!! Thursday, although not meeting somebody new, I met up with my buddy Chris from the Keg who's doing a euro-trip for school this summer and we watched the USA/Germany game. Friday, BritBound had a boat party. As you might have seen on some facebook pictures, yes, it was tennis themed, and yes, it was as fun as it looked. And of course, I met even MORE people there because the boat was packed with BritBounders. Today, I went to the London Pride Parade with a few new friends and of course, it rained. Parade also didn't really compare to Vancouver Pride Parade. Vancouver's got a lot more floats and a lot more music. It was like mainly a march in London. After the parade, we headed over to Trafalgar Square where they had performances. Now, I didn't care for any of the performances... the main reason I was there was to see Sir Ian McKellen with my very own two eyes. Even though he only talked for a good 5 minutes, it was awesome to see him in person and hear his magnificent voice.

Sorry for the lengthy read. I plan to make a decision tomorrow on accommodation so hopefully this week moves in the right direction in both that area and job wise! Canada Day is on Tuesday and I will be wishing I was back home. I'll have to try and find some poutine and a spicy caesar that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment