Sunday 29 May 2016

Destination #39 - Paros, Greece

If you're continuing on from the previous post, you'll know we were out at the resorts main beach clubs opening night. 2 of the Aussie girls, Nicole and Ash, and I were out to about 5am and would have to eventually wake up at 8:30am to catch the next ferry. I didn't drink a whole lot so I was in fine shape other than just being tired. The other two were something else! Either their alarms didn't go off or they slept through them and we had a little bit of a panicked rush to get their bags packed and catch our ferry. Poor Nicole was in a pretty bad way, not only hungover (or possibly still drunk) but had her twisted ankle in probably a worsened state.

We made our ferry on time and were soon on the island of Paros. Our accommodation was this small hotel run by a tiny Irish lady who probably said the F word every other word. She meant very well but one could definitely take offense to some of the things that were coming out of her mouth. When she saw the state Nicole was in, she went into full worried mother mode (while still swearing throughout) and made sure Nicole was going to sleep the rest of the afternoon. We didn't argue and of course left her there to recover. For the rest of the afternoon, I mainly chilled at the beach and made the mistake of thinking I didn't need sunscreen. My face was definitely burnt after. I swear I used to be fine without sunscreen!

In the evening, we all went out to a beach side dinner where we got a 4 course meal and took part in some traditional Greek dancing and plate smashing. We topped off the evening with a cocktail and settled down for an early night in to catch up on some sleep.


Paros is a pretty quaint and quiet town so there isn't a whole lot to see and do. So for the next day, I did a little bit of a hike up to a monastery called Jesus of the Woods. There was not a single soul there but I got a good view of the town and it felt good to get some exercise.



Once back into town, I took to the beach again to make my face even worse, despite putting on sunscreen.

I met up with the group in the evening for some dinner and a couple cocktails again, keeping it tame.

I'm not sure if I would return to Paros but I suppose it was a nice break after Mykonos.


Next:
Santorini
Ios
Milan
Venice
Cinque Terre
Rome
Sorrento
Assisi
Florence

No comments:

Post a Comment