Sunday 12 June 2016

Destination #46 - Sorrento & Amalfi Coast, Italy

Pompeii was our first stop for the day, the ancient city that suffered a volcanic eruption by Mount Vesuvius in 79AD and kept intact by the cover of volcanic ash. This was probably one of the coolest things I have ever seen. The city was kept so well intact, it was really easy to imagine walking down the streets just like they had nearly 2000 years ago. We got a little feeling of what it was like at the time of the eruption as well. If you looked one way, you had blue sky and if you looked the other way, there was a thunderstorm brewing with some of it hovering over the volcano. We didn't get to see many, but we saw a couple of people and a dog in the positions they died in.








After Pompeii, we made our way over to Sorrento, part of the Amalfi Coast. We arrived in the evening so after checking in, we headed into town for a local dinner of prosciutto and mozzarella for antipasti, gnocchi for the main, and tiramisu for desert.

The next day was a free day so I headed down the coast to see the towns Ravello, Amalfi, and Positano. Unfortunately, I think I spent more of the day on the bus than actually exploring the towns. They were still beautiful though and I got some breathtaking views of the coast. I met up with the rest of the group for dinner at a local pub and got myself a calzone.




I don't think I got the chance to truly scratch the surface of the Amalfi Coast and see it in all it's glory so it is definitely on my list of places to head back to.

Next:
Assisi
Florence

No comments:

Post a Comment