Sunday 13 September 2015

Destination #22 - Seville, Spain

Some nights in hostels, you get the ultra rude people who barge in at some crazy hour and start making a whole bunch of noise…or you get the snorers. This was not the case in my Madrid hostel, yet, I did not get any sleep at all this night for whatever reason. So, as 5:30am was a rude enough wake up call, at least I had no trouble getting out of bed and heading out into the darkness to find my bus to the airport.

It was a short flight over to Seville and I was dreading how I was going to do today, running off of no sleep. The hostel I was staying at was definitely the lesser of the 3 I had stayed at so far, a little anti social and quiet, but I guess I needed that as I was just in Seville for one night.

I was assigned the bottom bunk upon arrival but of course, someone had stolen this. Just my luck.

I left the hostel and immediately fell in love with the streets of Seville. I first went and saw the Metropol Parasol, supposedly the biggest wooden structure in the world. Around the structure was an interesting restaurant that I saw called Bushi, a combo of burgers and sushi. No, I did not eat there.


Next up was the Seville Catedral, which is probably the most famous landmark of Seville. At this point, I'm starting to feel like I'm in Dorne from Game of Thrones...or at least I understood the inspiration. Palm Trees, bright colours, and beautiful architecture.


Afterwards, I walked around the Royal Alcázar which I couldn't be bothered to pay and go in for. The walls were high so I couldn't see anything inside..oh well. Then, I walked over to Plaza de Espana which was stunning. It is absolutely massive so walking around was a little grueling as it was 35 degrees out! My Canadian body was melting. Around the plaza, they have these cool stalls (or at least that's what I'm calling them) that represent each major city in Spain...I think. This is what I assumed as I saw Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia, Grenada, and many, many others.






Beside the Plaza was María Luisa Park where I walked around and saw the Museo de Artes y Costumbres Populares and Plaza America. It was after this that I got hit with exhaustion like a sack of bricks. Time to head back to the hostel for a little nap....or siesta?



For dinner, I seriously have a problem when it comes to settling down a place. I probably walked by 20 restaurants before I told myself to stop being an idiot and just sit down somewhere. I think it is my fear of not knowing the language and being by myself that makes it difficult. Really, it's just me needing to step outside my comfort zone. I settled down on a place that luckily had an English menu and I had some sangria and some tapas to myself. Yum yum.


I went back to the Metropol Parasol afterwards to steal a couple night snaps and then headed for bed at the hostel. Time to catch up on some sleep.

Seville was gorgeous and as I only spent one day there, I would love to go back, do more, and enjoy the culture. I recommend!

Next:
Faro
Lisbon
Porto
Marseille
Nice
Turkey
Rhodes

No comments:

Post a Comment